There is a lot of confusion out there regarding the Installation of Xposed Framework on Samsung devices. We have provided a clear-cut guide on Install Xposed framework on Samsung devices on Marshmallow/Lollipop. Of course, Also for Samsung devices on Nougat.
If you are completely new to Xposed, then you can start here to know detailed about Xposed framework and installer. If you are a rooted Samsung Phone user, you might be familiar with Bootloop issues when trying to install the official Xposed framework. That is because Samsung made a lot of changes to Android Runtime Time. In turn, it did not provide any official sources, So Xposed framework officially won’t work on Samsung devices. But still, there are unofficial builds from Wanam which lets you to Install Xposed framework on Samsung devices running Marshmallow/Lollipop.
Xposed framework on Samsung devices?
Xposed framework works with the root access to directly hook up with the core Android. And utilizes them to run different system level modules on the device that bring new features to the OS. But with an introduction of Magisk and system-less, there is also systemless xposed. It is another story, you can read it here.
For Samsung devices on running and Marshmallow/Lollipop with TouchWiz UI, there is an unofficial xposed framework. This one hopefully works, unlike the official one which caused the bootloop and force close. Download the Files according to your device; Then Follow the steps detailed below to install the Xposed framework on Samsung devices running Marshmallow and Lollipop.
Disclaimer: Please follow this Xposed Framework Installation guide at your own risk. Though it is a tested and working method, it might fail on few devices. You are responsible for your actions.
- A Rooted Samsung device with Custom Recovery like TWRP/CWM.
- In case of the device running Lollipop 5.0, you must Deodex the Samsung ROM (Lollipop 5.0). Follow the guide attached.
- Make TWRP Backup all your data & Apps present on the device. If you are not on TWRP, then perform Nandroid or Titanium Backup.
Downloads to Install Xposed Framework on Samsung devices
Xposed on Samsung Nougat devices:
Xposed on Samsung Marshmallow 6.x devices:
To known the Processor architecture of your device, install the droid-life App, how the guide here.
- ARM: Download (32-bit arm devices like Galaxy S5, Note4 & others)
- ARM64: Download (64-bit arm64 devices like Galaxy S6, Note5 and other newer variants.)
Xposed on Samsung Lollipop 5.1.x devices
Xposed on Samsung Lollipop 5.0 devices
For devices running Android Lollipop 5.0, you need to de-odex your ROM. You can follow this guide to do the same. After odexing, you can flash the Xposed Framework as explained. Make sure, you download and flash the proper zip file according to phone processor (Snapdragon/Exynos).
- Snapdragon Xposed Framework: Download
- Exynos Xposed Framework: Download
- Xposed Framework Uninstaller Zip for 5.0: Download
Xposed Installer APK
The Xposed installer app must be installed manually by downloading the APK and it is same for all Android versions. It will do the middleman service between the Xposed framework & the xposed modules which provide the extra functionalities.
Xposed Framework uninstaller
In some rare case, If things didn’t go right there is a chance you might end up in the bootloop. Then you should flash this uninstaller zip to revert the changes and get rid of xposed. Alternatively, you can use a latest twrp backup to get your device back to the working condition.
How to install Xposed framework on Samsung devices
- First, we have to flash Xposed framework in our Lollipop/Marshmallow device and then install the Xposed installer to manage the modules.
- Download the necessary files as per your device and transfer them to storage/sdcard of your Samsung device
- Now Power off your device. Press & hold the appropriate key combinations to reboot into recovery. The key combination will be mostly Volup+home+Power button for most Samsung models If it doesn’t work, google for key combinations with your device model.
- In the recovery mode, Select Install zip from SDcard/ Install & then locate the Xposed framework file that you previously transferred.
- Select the zip & swipe right to confirm the flashing. The installation will be completed in two to three minutes.
- Now get back to the main menu, Wipe Dalvik & System cache. Reboot your device.
- Now download and install the Xposed installer APK on your Android device. If not enabled, don’t forget to enable the unknown sources from your device settings.Just Go to Settings App > Security > Enable Unknown sources.
- After the installation, launch the xposed installer App and you should see Xposed framework installed message. Now install and test any xposed module to see if everything is working fine.
If in a rare case, something goes wrong & your device may fail to boot up. So always transfer and keep the Xposed framework uninstaller zip along in your device storage. In case if your device didn’t boot up then Boot into recovery using key combinations & flash the uninstaller. This will bring everything back to normal. If this option also fails then you should revert back using the TWRP backup as mentioned in the prerequisites step.